Bazoviška ulica 2, SI-5280 Idrija
386 (0) 5 372 6600
386 (0) 5 377 3580
Because of the technical heritage it contained, Francis's Shaft, and the operations building above it, were converted into a museum for old machines, where the machines are now preserved in better conditions. In the lower two exhibition spaces 14 machines are set up, including steam, diesel, and battery driven ones. They reveal the best of what the Austrian, Bohemian, and Italian brands could provide in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. An exceptional specimen of technical heritage is Kley's pump, a steam piston machine made in the Bohemian Škoda-Pilsen Works in 1893, which is the biggest preserved steam machine in Slovenia and probably in Europe. Kley's pump pumped water out of the shafts for more than 50 years, until 1948. In 2009 it was extensively maintained, renovated, and re-opened to the public.
On the first floor of the Francis's Shaft building there are machines from mechanical workshops as well as forging, shaping and drilling machines from different manufacturers.